In order to pursue a concept or a theory in an field you need a values foundation to build on. For me there are three pillars in this foundation ; Belief , Committment and Dedication.
As it applies to what is termed `natural horsemanship` I believe in fundamental principles , inclulding:
- pressure motivates, release teaches
- be as gentle as possible and as firms as necessay
- reward the slightest try¸
- make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult
- defend your space
- horses are prey animals, we are are predators
- leadership is estalished by controlling the movement of the feet.
- the horses primary defence is flight
- a horses memory is second only to that of an elephant.
- a horse learns faster than any other domestic animal
- horses communicate primarily through body language.
- horses have the fastest reflexes of any domestic animal
- horses naturally push/pull against pressure